Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, March 21, 2008

Mother Nature's Cruel Joke....

I'm not talking about getting 12 inches of snow in late March, although that's cruel too. I'm talking about the joy...and pain...of a baby who begins to sleep through the night. Let's just say that after two months of getting up a few times each night, I've had lots of times where I literally felt like a sleep-deprived zombie- a feeling that only other new moms can relate to. Well, we finally reached the major milestone where Lauren sleeps through the night. Great, right??? You'd think that would mean that I'd finally be getting lots of sleep.


Here's the cruel joke part. Lauren sleeps through the night and thus....I experience excruciating pain due to going too long without feeding her!!! Lauren slept from 9pm until WE HAD TO WAKE HER UP at 6:30am so that I could get some pain relief. This is the cruel joke that Mother Nature plays on nursing mothers. The pain was so bad that I think getting my thumb slammed in a car door would have felt much better. I know what many of you are probably thinking. "Why didn't Mindy just pump milk instead of waking Lauren up?" You must not be aware of Newton's FOURTH law of physics...as soon as a nursing mother relieves herself with a breastpump, the baby will wake up hungry and want to nurse from her now empty milk sources (and will refuse a bottle). Happens every time!


Not sure if our trip to Rice Lake is still going to take place. The snow is falling hard and the television meteorologists are talking about popping the corks on champagne bottles because we're about to break records for the second snowiest winter of all time. Yuck. More than 100 inches of snow in a winter. Fun. We'll keep you posted.

One other bit of news- I've decided to extend my maternity leave by another month. My return date is now Friday, May 2. I just can't bring myself to part with my little girl for a long work day yet. She is just too young and needs her mommy most of all :)
Happy Easter!

No comments: